Belly Bind - Pink + Peach
This cotton bind is a pink and peach hand dyed print.
Belly binding is a postpartum tradition in many eastern cultures. The practice involves using special knots to tie a long strip of cloth around the abdomen during the recovery period to support a woman’s uterus and other organs after childbirth. We use the Bengkung style of belly binding at the Orchid Nest and our binds are handmade in Indonesia by a local birth keeper.
We will send you a video with instructions for someone to bind you as well as self-binding instructions. If you are local, we offer in home and office binding instructions/sessions.
What are the benefits?
- It pulls the separated abdominal muscles (diastasis recti) back together.
- Encourages healing from pelvic/pubic separation (a partial bind during pregnancy can be especially beneficial for pelvic support).
- Supports relaxed and untoned abdominal muscles.
- Reduce fluid and air retention in bowels/abdomen.
- Nurtures the mother in a time of vulnerability and healing.
- Prevents back pain. While wearing it, you are reminded to sit and walk straight, thus avoiding the “nursing-slouch”.
- Decreases postpartum bleeding time by helping the body to expedite the process.
- In the case of a miscarriage or still-birth, belly binding can improve emotional healing as it speeds physical healing.